For the 2020-2021 school year, we are seeking dynamic candidates for the full-time position of Middle School Social Studies Teacher. This person will plan and facilitate the social studies program for students in all grades from 5-8. This position requires the ability to develop curriculum and to teach using best-practice pedagogy for middle school students. Additionally, this person will need to collaborate closely with lower school and upper school faculty to ensure the vertical alignment of the social studies program while collaborating in a cross-curricular fashion with other middle school teachers to ensure a cohesive student experience at each grade level. A bachelor’s degree in social studies or a related field is required. The ideal candidate will have an advanced degree and/or previous teaching experience.
Candidates will be expected to aspire to the EA Characteristics of Professional Excellence, in which Elgin Academy teachers promise to:
- Create an environment where students are encouraged to take risks, grow from mistakes, defend their ideas, and advocate for themselves.
- Provide diverse learning experiences that allow and encourage a variety of ways to demonstrate knowledge.
- Model the characteristics found in the Portrait of a Hilltopper.
- Build trusting relationships with students and families through consistency, equity, and communication.
- Communicate and collaborate with the school community to foster supportive and professional relationships.
- Continue to innovate teaching strategies, including use of technology.
- Support school community activities.
- Continue to be lifelong learners through ongoing professional development and collaboration with peers.
Candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and references electronically to Doug Sept at email@example.com.
Doug Sept, Assistant Head of School for Academic Affairs
Elgin Academy, 350 Park St. Elgin, IL 60120